Anthony Clarke is a multiple gold medal winning Paralympian, World Champion and National Champion...who is completely blind.
At the age of 17, Anthony was blinded instantly after a car accident in 1978. With very little education, no money and a bleak future, he has successfully re-educated himself and become one of Australia's most prominent inspirational speakers. Anthony has also recently completed a contract with the Passenger Transport Department as a Project Officer to develop and has implemented training programs based around the Disability Discrimination Act.
Anthony's keynote address and presentation style is unique, inspirational and entertaining. He draws from incredible personal experiences to show that any individual can 'achieve the impossible'.
His presentations trace his life from the accident that caused his blindness to his success as an elite athlete.
Anthony talks about growing up in Kilburn (a traditionally rough area) and uses this as an example to highlight how to use your past to measure your present in order to move on to the future.
His wonderful story about hitch-hiking around Australia with his first guide dog, Marcus, shows the benefits of taking risks and that there are times to lead and times to follow.
Anthony speaks about finding your true potential and how to break the appropriate barriers to become a leader in your field. If you enjoy what you do, then you will be good at it!
Anthony believes that no one makes it through life alone and he talks about the importance of his support networks and role models in his life.
Achievements and Awards
- Awarded The Order of Australia Medal in 1997
- Paralympic and Duel World Vision Impaired Judo Champion
- 2003/5, 1998/99 Australian Judo Champion (against sighted opponents)
- Awarded the Judo Federation of Australia, South Australian Outstanding Judo Player of the Decade (an Able Bodied Judo Award)
- A 3rd Degree Black Belt and Accredited Level 1 Judo Coach
- Wrote and published his autobiography and motivational book "Achieving the Impossible" (Foreword by Dawn Fraser and launched by John Cahill)
- Hitch hiked around Australia and New Zealand
- "Thrown" two Prime Ministers - Bob Hawke and John Howard